Situated to the west of Reading, Tilehurst Parish extends from the A4 in the south to a few metres short of the A329 in the north. The Reading boundary forms the eastern border whilst its western border follows the line of the Sulham escarpment.
The present Tilehurst Parish was created on the extension of the Reading Borough boundary in 1919. Tilehurst Parish Council became responsible for the rural area of the old Tilehurst and, with the remainder being within the Reading Borough area, it became known as Tilehurst Without. It now serves a population of approximately 14,500, with an electorate of approximately 11,100, and covers an area of 11 square miles.
The Council manages four recreation grounds and four community halls (at three sites). The Parish’s Sports Centre and two further plots of land are leased to West Berkshire District Council to meet education and social service needs in the local area.
ROAD CLOSURES WITHIN PARISH - for updates on road closures within parish, please see our Latest News page.
NEW OVER-50S COFFEE CLUB AT CALCOT
Tilehurst Parish Council is pleased to announce the trial of
a weekly Over-50s Coffee Club in the newly refurbished Jubilee Annexe at
Highview, Calcot RG31 4XD.
The club will meet from 2.00pm to 4.00pm on Tuesday afternoons from 23 August. It will be run by councillors and volunteers and, during the three-month trial period, the venue and refreshments (tea, coffee, biscuits) will be provided by the parish council so there will be no charge to attend.
This will be an opportunity for older residents to come together for company and mutual support, and those attending during the trial period will be asked for ideas and suggestion for possible future activities. It is hoped that the new club will be a popular addition to the local community, and its success will enable it to become a self-sustaining venture in the future.